If your family member has been admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) this page will provide some helpful information to assist you.
- When you visit your loved one you will notice the monitoring equipment at the bedside, some of which will be connected to your family member. We understand this can be very overwhelming. Our nursing and medical staff will provide you with reassurance and explanations as to why the equipment is used
- Our preferred visiting hours are from 2pm-8pm. Please ask the staff if you wish to visit at other times. There is no visiting between 7.30-9.30am and 1-3pm, during the doctors’ regular ward rounds
- For the safety and comfort of your loved one we allow only two visitors at a time. We recommend that only close family visit
- We do not limit the length of your visit however given the critical nature of our patients they require plenty of rest.
Information about your relative
- The doctors and nurses conduct a ward round each day. The nursing staff will also provide information to you at the bedside
- You can phone the unit at any time. Due to confidentiality, limited information only will be given. Ring 5454 6000 and ask for the Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- The ICU conducts a family satisfaction survey in order that you can feedback your experience to the staff. You do not need to add your name and we respect honest feedback. If you would like to complete a form ask your relatives nurse to supply you with one.
- We suggest one or two family members be nominated to act as a spokesperson on behalf of your family. This will assist you and us
- We request the spokesperson be responsible for relaying information to family and friends. This will also limit the number or calls to the unit and therefore reduce interruptions to patient care
- Please do not hesitate to discuss any concerns you may have during your family members stay.
- Toiletries are permitted
- No valuables
- No flowers please (for infection control reasons)
Other hospital services:
- Social worker
- Patient advocate
- Pastoral care
- Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officer
Please ask the staff if you require any of these services.