The orthopaedic unit cares for patients who have injuries or other problems with their spinal system, such as their bones, joints and muscles.
The orthopaedic unit is on level 1, Hyett building, Bendigo Hospital campus and provides services before and after an operation.
The orthopaedic unit has 32 beds available for public and private admissions and offers an extensive range of services to the Loddon Mallee Region. The unit provides a comprehensive range of surgery and emergency care. Care is planned by a committed team of health care professionals with an emphasis on the best possible outcomes for patients and their families.
The unit also accepts trauma patients and referrals from regional hospitals. The team includes highly skilled orthopaedic surgeons, orthopaedic nurses and allied health professionals such as physiotherapists and occupational therapists.
After major surgery or trauma, the orthopaedic unit refers patients on to rehabilitation where they are helped to return to their homes and the community.
Our mission is to provide holistic care with the aim to restore function to those with orthopaedic conditions. We achieve this by:-
- Adopting a complete approach to your care, commencing in the outpatient and preadmission clinics
- Demonstrating a strong patient and family focus
- Providing the highest possible care and continuous quality improvement
- Planning a co-ordinated approach to our service
- Functioning in an efficient, safe and effective manner
We have five orthopaedic surgeons, two dedicated physiotherapists, one occupational therapist, and a team of highly skilled nurses and support staff.
- Orthopaedic elective surgery - pre/post operative care
- Orthopaedic trauma cases - pre/post surgery
- Other accident and emergency admission
- Conservative management of some orthopaedic conditions