Bendigo Health and La Trobe University Bendigo jointly conduct postgraduate courses in critical care nursing, with candidates undertaking their course work in the Bendigo Health Emergency Department and Intensive/Coronary Care Unit.
The 12 month critical care nursing course is structured to enable students to build simultaneously their theoretical knowledge base and clinical patient care skills. It is run from February to February each year.
- seven shifts per fortnight
- study blocks at course commencement
- study days average one per week
- case study assignments and exams
- clinical competency assessments
- midyear and end of year clinical appraisals
- equal clinical time rotating through Emergency Department and Intensive/Coronary Care Unit
- rotation through anaesthetics
- metropolitan rotation caring for critically ill adults and children, and viewing cardiac theatres
- children, and viewing cardiac theatres
- support by two critical care nursing educators
- two weeks annual leave midyear
The clinical educators offer:
- direct patient care support for students
- informal tutorials
- a formal tutorial program
- course administrative support
- student advocacy
- facilitation of clinical placement
Both clinical areas are well equipped and have experienced and supportive staff members.
The Intensive/Coronary Care Unit provides the opportunity for students to develop skills in management of intensive care and coronary care patients utilising the following interventions: ventilation, haemofiltration, invasive monitoring including PiCCO, non-invasive ventilation and inotrope management.
The Emergency Department provides the opportunity for the student to develop skills in the following: resuscitation, major trauma management, triage, acute coronary care, paediatric care and more.
Additional contact information:
Nurses interested in obtaining more information on the Postgraduate Certificate, Diploma or Masters of Nursing (Critical Care) should contact:
Clinical Educators, Critical Care Nursing, Ph. (03) 5454 7926
Critical Care Nursing Course Coordinator, La Trobe University Bendigo, Ph. (03) 5444 7337
Nurse Manager Emergency Department, Bendigo Health, Ph. (03) 5454 8103,
Nurse Manager Critical Care Unit, Bendigo Health, Ph. (03) 5454 7930
Certificate in gerontological nursing
This course is designed to enhance knowledge base and advanced critical thinking skills of registered nurses working with older people in any health setting at a practical level. The course is composed of three units and is delivered over two semesters totalling 22 weeks. The course attracts credits from LaTrobe University. Phone enquiries to CHERC 03 5454 6415.